Reliable and efficient operation of the ENTSO-E (European Network of Transmission System Operators for Electricity) Continental European Grid (ENTSO-E Continental European Grid) requires close cooperation between the Transmission System Operators (TSO, Transmission System Operator). To this end, the ENTSO-E or its precursor UCTE (Union for the Co-ordination of Transmission of Electricity) has drawn up rules and recommendations to define this collaboration.
The main aim of the ENTSO-E Operation Handbook is as follows:
- To create a comprehensive set of technical standards and recommendations
- To ensure continued secure operation of the ENTSO-E Continental European Grid.
Since the end of 2004, the binding nature of the Operation Handbook has been governed by a multilateral agreement.
The Operation Handbook contains the following:
- The currently valid rules and recommendations
- Rules governing critical grid situations
- Rules for communication or data exchange
The Operation Handbook governs the collaboration between the TSOs, but does not make any statements regarding the national grid codes. The national regulations that define grid access and adhere to market rules, for example, are complementary to the ENTSO-E Operation Handbook.